Also known as:
Wymox is one of the best forms of antibiotic available today. It is used to treat infections
caused by certain bacteria, including: infections of the ear, nose, and throat (pneumonia, bronchitis);
infections of the genitourinary tract; infections of the skin and skin structure; infections of the
lower respiratory tract; gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated (ano-genital and urethral infections) in male
Wymox is also used before some surgery or dental work to prevent infection. It is also used in
combination with other medications to eliminate H. pylori, a bacteria that causes ulcers.
Wymox may also be used for other purposes not listed here.
Wymox acts by inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cell wall and stopping the growth of
Wymox is available in capsules.
Wymox is usually taken every 8 hours (three times a day). It can be taken with or without
The chewable tablets should be crushed or chewed thoroughly before they are swallowed. The tablets and
capsules should be swallowed whole and taken with a full glass of water.
Take Wymox exactly as directed. Do not take more or less Wymox or take it more often than
prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop taking Wymox without talking to your doctor. To clear up
your infection completely, continue taking Wymox for the full course of treatment even if you feel
better in a few days. Stopping Wymox too soon may cause bacteria to become resistant to
Adults: 500 mg PO every 12 hours or 250 mg PO every 8 hours for mild/moderate infections and 875 mg PO
every 12 hours or 500 mg PO every 8 hours for severe infections.
Infants 6 months and older, Children, and Adolescents: 80 to 90 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 12
hours is recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) as first-line therapy. Do not exceed
500 mg/dose if given every 8 hours or 875 mg/dose if given every 12 hours. AAP recommends a 10-day
course for any child with severe disease and for all patients less than 2 years of age, regardless of
severity. For children 2 to 5 years with mild to moderate disease, a 7-day course is acceptable. For
children 6 years and older with mild to moderate disease, a 5- to 7-day course is acceptable. The
FDA-approved dosage is 20 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 8 hours (Max: 250 mg/dose) or 25 mg/kg/day
PO in divided doses every 12 hours (Max: 500 mg/dose) for mild to moderate infections and 40 mg/kg/day
PO in divided doses every 8 hours (Max: 500 mg/dose) or 45 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 12 hours
(Max: 875 mg/dose) for severe infections.
Infants 4 to 5 months: 80 to 90 mg/kg/day PO given in divided doses every 12 hours for 10 days was
recommended by experts as first-line therapy in previous guidelines ; however, this age group is not
addressed in the most current guidelines by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The FDA-approved
dosage is 20 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 8 hours or 25 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 12
hours for mild to moderate infections and 40 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 8 hours or 45 mg/kg/day
PO in divided doses every 12 hours for severe infections.
Infants 3 months and younger: 30 mg/kg/day PO given in divided doses every 12 hours is the general
FDA-approved dosing. Young infants are less capable of responding to infection, and the clinical
manifestations of infection can be subtle. Because of the increased risk for complications of an
undiagnosed systemic infection, every young infant presenting with a fever should be carefully
In case of overdosage, discontinue medication, treat symptomatically, and institute supportive
measures as required. If the overdosage is very recent and there is no contraindication, an attempt at
emesis or other means of removal of drug from the stomach may be performed. A prospective study of 51
pediatric patients at a poison-control center suggested that overdosages of less than 250 mg/kg of
Wymox are not associated with significant clinical symptoms and do not require gastric emptying.
Interstitial nephritis resulting in oliguric renal failure has been reported in a small number of
patients after overdosage with Wymox.
Crystalluria, in some cases leading to renal failure, has also been reported after Wymox
overdosage in adult and pediatric patients. In case of overdosage, adequate fluid intake and diuresis
be maintained to reduce the risk of Wymox crystalluria.
Renal impairment appears to be reversible with cessation of drug administration. High blood levels may
occur more readily in patients with impaired renal function because of decreased renal clearance of
Wymox. Wymox may be removed from circulation by hemodialysis.
Store between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F) away from moisture and heat. Keep bottle closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Keep out of the reach of children.